Review: The Heir by Keira Cass

Genre: Romance, Dystopian
Series: The Selection #4
Publication: 5/5/2015 by HarperTeen
Pages: 342 Pages
Format: Paperback
Rating: 2 out of 5 Stars
Goodreads | Amazon | Book Depository

Goodreads Summary
Princess Eadlyn has grown up hearing endless stories about how her mother and father met. Twenty years ago, America Singer entered the Selection and won the heart of Prince Maxon—and they lived happily ever after. Eadlyn has always found their fairy-tale story romantic, but she has no interest in trying to repeat it. If it were up to her, she'd put off marriage for as long as possible.

But a princess's life is never entirely her own, and Eadlyn can't escape her very own Selection—no matter how fervently she protests.


Eadlyn doesn't expect her story to end in romance. But as the competition begins, one entry may just capture Eadlyn's heart, showing her all the possibilities that lie in front of her . . . and proving that finding her own happily ever after isn't as impossible as she's always thought.

My Thoughts
I went into this book with pretty low expectations. Everybody was saying that Eadlyn was an annoying character and the story should have stopped at The One. I do agree that Eadlyn was not the most likeable character. She doesn't accept that she's privileged, when she clearly is. I feel like she is doing the "nobody understands me" thing which is a trope that I am sick of. It's also annoying that she trying to essentially sabotage The Selection by being a bitch. Her decisions made no sense to me. At one point, she had to get advice from her brother and he just told her to compromise. A future leader should know how to compromise without asking someone else.

I just find that this story feels forced. It's like watching a season of The Bachelor were you don't actually like the bachelor, but are curious enough to know who they end up with. It's guilty pleasure enough to get some enjoyment out of but I felt the story rubbed me the wrong way many times. I think I enjoyed the POV of America in the first books better because you didn't really know who were the true frontrunners in the Selection. Which made me turn the pages to find out if Maxon was going to pick her. This time I got board of Eadlyn faking boring dates and hating love.

I am curious enough to read The Crown. I am waiting of it on audiobook and then I can finally put this series on my read list. I really wish that these were 2 companion series, instead of one big one. I really hope that Eadlyn has some character growth in the next book. I can see why her country doesn't like her very much...

No comments :

Post a Comment