Review: The Girl With The Lower Back Tattoo by Amy Schumer

Genre: Nonfiction; Memoir
Publication: August 16, 2016 by Gallery Books
Pages: 323 Pages
Format: Audiobook
Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars
Goodreads | Book Depository | Amazon

Goodreads Summary
In The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo, Amy mines her past for stories about her teenage years, her family, relationships, and sex and shares the experiences that have shaped who she is - a woman with the courage to bare her soul to stand up for what she believes in, all while making us laugh.

Ranging from the raucous to the romantic, the heartfelt to the harrowing, this highly entertaining and universally appealing collection is the literary equivalent of a night out with your best friends - an unforgettable and fun adventure that you wish could last forever. Whether she's experiencing lust-at-first-sight while in the airport security line, sharing her own views on love and marriage, admitting to being an introvert, or discovering her cross-fit instructor's secret bad habit, Amy Schumer proves to be a bighearted, brave, and thoughtful storyteller that will leave you nodding your head in recognition, laughing out loud, and sobbing uncontrollably - but only because it's over.

My Thoughts
I didn't think I would relate so much with Amy Schumer. I picked this up, not really knowing a whole lot about her. I have seen a few things she has done but I haven't really followed everything she has done. However, this book really surprised me. I feel a lot of the same things that she feels. I got her humour and her struggles. This book just caught me at the right time, where I could relate.

I do think that this isn't the book for everyone. Not every comedian is funny to everyone so if you already know that you aren't a fan of Amy's humour then this book isn't for you. On that same token, if you love Amy Schumer then this book is definitely for you. I loved how she mixed humour in with some very serious topics. Life isn't perfect, and she shows you that. I just really related to most of her stories. I think that if your a young female dealing with the world, then you'll be able to at least relate to some of this. I especially like when she talks about her body, not being the perfect "hollywood" body type.

I listened to this book on audio, and that is the way to go with this story. It is told my Amy herself so you get how she meant it to be read. You get the humour more and her serious stories are also more impactful. Like I said earlier, if you like Amy Schumer, check this one out. I enjoyed it a lot and nodded my head in agreement quite a bit. I laughed out loud and even got a little chocked up. I recommend.



No comments :

Post a Comment