Review: Ghosts by Raina Telgemeier

Genre: Graphic Novel
Publication: September 13, 2016 by Graphix
Pages: 256 Pages
Source: Library Paperback
Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars
Goodreads | Amazon | Book Depository

Goodreads Summary
Catrina and her family are moving to the coast of Northern California because her little sister, Maya, is sick. Cat isn't happy about leaving her friends for Bahía de la Luna, but Maya has cystic fibrosis and will benefit from the cool, salty air that blows in from the sea. As the girls explore their new home, a neighbor lets them in on a secret: There are ghosts in Bahía de la Luna. Maya is determined to meet one, but Cat wants nothing to do with them. As the time of year when ghosts reunite with their loved ones approaches, Cat must figure out how to put aside her fears for her sister's sake - and her own.

My Thoughts
I might not be exactly the target audience for this one, since it is a children's graphic novel. However, I definitely loved this story! (And so did my 10 year old cousin). I absolutely love ghosts, so a story that features many different ghosts was awesome. I really enjoyed the characters and how Maya, the little sister, had Cystic Fibrosis. I learned a lot of about CF from a campaign that is run at my university to raise money for research to fight it. So many children are affected with CF and other chronic illnesses that it's awesome they have a character like them in a book. Lots of thumbs ups for this book and if I had a kid I would most definitely be putting a copy of this book in their hands.

No comments :

Post a Comment