Review: A Gathering of Shadows by V.E. Schwab

Genre: Fantasy
Publication: 02/23/2016 by Tor Books
Series: Shades of Magic #2
Pages: 512 Pages
Format: Audiobook
Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars
Goodreads | Amazon | Book Depository

Goodreads Summary:
It has been four months since a mysterious obsidian stone fell into Kell's possession. Four months since his path crossed with Delilah Bard. Four months since Prince Rhy was wounded, and since the nefarious Dane twins of White London fell, and four months since the stone was cast with Holland's dying body through the rift – back into Black London.

Now, restless after having given up his smuggling habit, Kell is visited by dreams of ominous magical events, waking only to think of Lila, who disappeared from the docks as she always meant to do. As Red London finalizes preparations for the Element Games – an extravagant international competition of magic meant to entertain and keep healthy the ties between neighboring countries – a certain pirate ship draws closer, carrying old friends back into port.

And while Red London is caught up in the pageantry and thrills of the Games, another London is coming back to life. After all, a shadow that was gone in the night will reappear in the morning. But the balance of magic is ever perilous, and for one city to flourish, another London must fall.

My Thoughts:
This might be my new favourite series. I still don't know exactly where I want to put the rating but I am in love with this series. I love all of the characters, especially some of the new ones we were introduced too. I am also in love with the Element Games which are essentially the magic olympics. I loved getting to see some of the other kingdoms and I absolutely cannot wait until the next book comes out. 

Delilah is one of my new favourite characters ever. She doesn't fit any stereotype or cliche. She is unapologetically herself and doesn't let anyone tell her what to do. She wears men's clothes and I can just relate to her so much. I also love the addition of LGBT+ characters, it was added so seamlessly into the plot and it wasn't made into be a big coming out. I am also in love with Kel, he's adorable.

I think the one thing that kind of threw me off with this book was that there wasn't a lot of series plot. We mainly focused on word development through the Element Games and character development. I did love both these elements but I would have also wanted some more movement with the overall series plot. Don't get me wrong, the character development was extremely important, especially after the life changing events in the first book. 

I can't wait till the next book! It's going to be incredibly intense. That ending though! I think V.E. Schwab is one of my new favourite writers and I need to check out some of her other books. If you love fantasy, this is an amazing series!





No comments :

Post a Comment