Review: Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas

Genre: Fantasy
Publication: August 31 2013 by Bloomsbury
Series: Throne of Glass #2
Pages: 418 Pages
Format: Paperback
Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars
Goodreads | Amazon | Book Depository

Goodreads Summary:
From the throne of glass rules a king with a fist of iron and a soul as black as pitch. Assassin Celaena Sardothien won a brutal contest to become his Champion. Yet Celaena is far from loyal to the crown. She hides her secret vigilantly; she knows that the man she serves is bent on evil.

Keeping up the deadly charade becomes increasingly difficult when Celaena realizes she is not the only one seeking justice. As she tries to untangle the mysteries buried deep within the glass castle, her closest relationships suffer. It seems no one is above questioning her allegiances—not the Crown Prince Dorian; not Chaol, the Captain of the Guard; not even her best friend, Nehemia, a foreign princess with a rebel heart.

Then one terrible night, the secrets they have all been keeping lead to an unspeakable tragedy. As Celaena's world shatters, she will be forced to give up the very thing most precious to her and decide once and for all where her true loyalties lie... and whom she is ultimately willing to fight for.

My Thoughts
This series is definitely taking me for a ride. Half the fun is knowing there are a ton more books to come and this series is going to take a ton more twists and turns. I really enjoyed this book. I was actually surprised how this story ended, which was exciting. I do get why so many people really love this series, however I do see some flaws. 

One thing that can rub me the wrong way is Celaena. There are just small parts of her character that just don't click with me. I find her to be too perfect and her personality doesn't feel consistent. Another thing was that I felt certain chapters took some strange jumps. I was just thrown off a bit by the pacing in a few sections.

At the same time, I really enjoyed this book. It was fast paced and exciting. I do think this book took a step up from Throne of Glass. It's starting to differentiate itself from other series and I am very much enjoying the way the plot is progressing. It makes me want to know what everyone is freaking out about in Heir of Fire and Queen of Shadows. 

I am a fan of this series but I am not head over heals yet. I would recommend this book to a series to any fantasy fans. The world is interesting and I like how magic is starting to play a bigger role. I am excited to keep reading on. Thumbs up from me. 




No comments :

Post a Comment