Review: Firewalker by Josephine Angelini

Genre: YA Fantasy
Publication: 09/01/2015 by Feiwel & Friends
Series: The Worldwalker Trilogy #2
Pages: 352 Pages
Source: Library Hardback
Rating: 3 out of 5 Stars
Goodreads | Book Depository Amazon

Goodreads Summary:
Lily Proctor has made it back to her own universe, and she’s ready to start a new life with Rowan by her side. True, she almost died in the pyre that fueled their escape, and they must hide her new magic or risk endangering the world, but compared to fighting the monstrous Woven and leading armies in the alternate Salem, life is looking good.

“You think I’m a monster, but…my choices, as ruthless as they seem, are justified.”

Unfortunately, Lillian, malevolent ruler of the 13 Cities, is not willing to let Lily go that easily. Lily is the closest version of herself she’s ever seen in all her worldwalking, and Lillian’s running out of time. If she can’t persuade Lily and Rowan to return to her world, she’ll have to find a way to make them come back.

My Thoughts:
This series is kind of addictive. It's not great but I enjoy it while I'm reading it. I think the concept is unique and I haven't read anything else like it. However, I also find the world somewhat confusing. Especially, since the book jumped right back into the story right from where Trial by Fire left off. It took me some time to remember what happened in the first book but once I did I was good to go. 

These books are fast paced and they are pretty quick to get through. What I don't really enjoy as much about the story is that Lily is essentially helpless without her coven with her. I prefer my leading ladies to be strong in their own right. To make up for it, at least Lily is smart and can make logical decisions. I also have a weird love/hate relationship with the romance at this point. Rowan made some seriously harsh decisions and that hurt my ship. But I did like that this book approached sex, and didn't hold back because it was "young adult". 

I am excited to see how this series ends, the story ended on an emotional cliff hanger and it's time to get some closure. This is a fun series but not going to make any of my top lists. I would recommend this to people who are into witch books because this is an interesting take on a witch story. 

No comments :

Post a Comment