Review: Seed by Lisa Heathfield

Genre: Contemporary, YA
Publication: 03/10/2015 by Running Press Kids
Pages: 336 Pages
Source: Library Hardback
Rating: 2 out of 5 Stars
Goodreads | Amazon | Book Depository

Goodreads Summary
All that Pearl knows can be encapsulated in one word: Seed. It is the isolated community that she was born into. It is the land that she sows and reaps. It is the center of her family and everything that means home. And it is all kept under the watchful eye of Papa S.

At fifteen years old, Pearl is finally old enough to be chosen as Papa S’s companion. She feels excitement... and surprising trepidation that she cannot explain. The arrival of a new family into the Seed community — particularly the teenage son, Ellis — only complicates the life and lifestyle that Pearl has depended upon as safe and constant. 

Ellis is compelling, charming, and worldly, and he seems to have a lot of answers to questions Pearl has never thought to ask. But as Pearl digs to the roots of the truth, only she can decide what she will allow to come to the surface.

My Thoughts:
This book kind of bored me. I picked this up because I find cults extremely interesting and this seemed up my ally. However, it never grabbed me and I considered putting it down a few times. I had a hard time connecting with the characters and the story progressed really slowly. It wasn't a bad story by any means. It had some good aspects and a good build up that was quite unsettling at times. 

I also found that the ending was very rushed. The conclusion was only about 15-20 pages long and I wanted so much more. The ending was also kind of opened ended and I wish we had a little about what happened after these events. Especially since the characters were so sheltered/brainwashed by this cult. Another thing that I wished happened was that Pearl, the main character, would have showed more character growth quicker. It look a long time for her to even question their way of life. I understand that in these situations that it's extremely difficult to question what's going on but in the book I wanted to see her thought process more.

All in all, this wasn't a terrible book but I just wasn't hooked. It took more over a week to read this, even though it isn't a very long book and the margins are HUGE. If you are really into YA fiction and you want a kind of dark contemporary, check this one out.

No comments :

Post a Comment