Review: The Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan

Genre: Mythology, Fantasy, YA, Middle Grade
Publication: 10/06/2015 by Hyperion Books
Series: Magnus Chase and the God's of Asgard
Pages: 507 Pages
Format: eBook
Rating: 3.75 out of 5 Stars

Goodreads Summary:
Magnus Chase has always been a troubled kid. Since his mother’s mysterious death, he’s lived alone on the streets of Boston, surviving by his wits, keeping one step ahead of the police and the truant officers.

One day, he’s tracked down by a man he’s never met—a man his mother claimed was dangerous. The man tells him an impossible secret: Magnus is the son of a Norse god.

The Viking myths are true. The gods of Asgard are preparing for war. Trolls, giants and worse monsters are stirring for doomsday. To prevent Ragnarok, Magnus must search the Nine Worlds for a weapon that has been lost for thousands of years.

When an attack by fire giants forces him to choose between his own safety and the lives of hundreds of innocents, Magnus makes a fatal decision.

Sometimes, the only way to start a new life is to die . . .

My Thoughts: 
If you are looking for action and adventure, Rick Riordan is your man. In his usual style, boy finds out he is the son of a god and madness ensues. I do enjoy Rick Riordan's books, I have read The Percy Jackson series. I haven't read any of his other series yet but I am planning on starting Hero's of Olympus soon.  However, I do find them to be intended for a younger audience than myself. I'm not old by any means but I do enjoy some adult content. But if you are looking for an awesome book for a young audience, Rick is your man.

Something I really enjoyed about Magnus Chase was that the characters were very diverse. There was Sam who is Muslim and wears a magical hijab; Then Hearthstone is a deaf elf, which is also really cool. Magnus himself is even homeless, so there is a lot of elements that you never see in other novels. I was really awesome to read from people with all kinds of different experiences.

However, what detracted from the book was that I found Magnus Chase to be very similar to Percy Jackson. They are different characters and they are put into different situations but if someone told me that Magnus was Percy, I would believe them. I am not sure if this is because Riordan's style of writing is very similar in both books but I think this is something that only I have noticed.

All-in-all, I had a good time reading The Sword of Summer and I will be continuing on with Magnus Chase. It's a fun action filled adventure and I really do enjoy Rick's take on all the different Gods. I do however want to read Hero's of Olympus before I continue on in Magnus' world. I think I'll need to know what happened with Annabeth in those books before I keep going.

Conclusions: If you love Rick Riordan, I definitely recommend Magnus Chase. It was not too shabby.                                                                                                                                                               
  
                                                                                                         




No comments :

Post a Comment