Review: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson

Genre: Fantasy
Publication: 07/25/06 by Tor Fantasy
Series: Mistborn
Pages: 643 pages
Format: Paperback
Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars
Goodreads | Amazon | Book Depository

Goodreads Summary:
Once, a hero arose to save the world. A young man with a mysterious heritage courageously challenged the darkness that strangled the land.

He failed.

For a thousand years since, the world has been a wasteland of ash and mist ruled by the immortal emperor known as the Lord Ruler. Every revolt has failed miserably.

Yet somehow, hope survives. Hope that dares to dream of ending the empire and even the Lord Ruler himself. A new kind of uprising is being planned, one built around the ultimate caper, one that depends on the cunning of a brilliant criminal mastermind and the determination of an unlikely heroine, a street urchin who must learn to master Allomancy, the power of a Mistborn.

My Thoughts:
This was awesome. It may have taken me forever to read, but it really is an interesting story. It might have been a huge book but I never felt bored. I was engaged with the story while I was reading it and the world that Sanderson created was so clear and mystical. I felt like I had a good grasp on the world and how Allomancy worked. Often when I read fantasy, I get lost and don't understand the world. This definitely didn't happen with The Final Empire. 

I have had this problem where I haven't been able to get into the characters while I read. This hasn't always been the case, but recently I just haven't cared enough about any character to really get invested. Until I read this book. I am attached to all of the characters. Vin is an amazing lead, and her growth throughout this novel was stellar. I can't wait to see how far she comes in the next 2 books. I even shipped her hard with Elend. I fell hard for the 2 of them together and I have strong feelings regarding them together. This doesn't happen to me! Where are all these feels coming from. 

I am dying to know how the story continues in the next few books. For now, I am going to take a break and get some of the mess that built up read. This book has really shown me how interested I am in the fantasy genre and that I shouldn't back down from serious high fantasy. I definitely recommend this book to everyone. It's fantastic. 

Quote: 
“Our belief is often strongest when it should be weakest. That is the nature of hope.” 

1 comment :

  1. Great review. I’ve had this book sitting on my shelf for months, but it’s so huge that I’m a little scared of it. I’m a slow reader, so it’ll probably take me forever to get through.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete