Review: Wonder by R.J. Palacio

Genre: Middle Grade, Contemporary
Published: 01/03/2013 by Corgi Children's
Pages: 315 pages
Format: Library e-book
Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars
Goodreads | Amazon | Indigo

Goodreads Summary 
You can't blend in when you were born to stand out.

My name is August. I won't describe what I look like. Whatever you're thinking, it's probably worse.

August Pullman wants to be an ordinary ten-year-old. He does ordinary things. He eats ice cream. He plays on his Xbox. He feels ordinary - inside. But Auggie is far from ordinary. Ordinary kids don't make other ordinary kids run away screaming in playgrounds. Ordinary kids don't get stared at wherever they go.

Born with a terrible facial abnormality, Auggie has been home-schooled by his parents his whole life, in an attempt to protect him from the cruelty of the outside world. Now, for the first time, he's being sent to a real school - and he's dreading it. All he wants is to be accepted - but can he convince his new classmates that he's just like them, underneath it all? Narrated by Auggie and the people around him whose lives he touches forever, Wonder is a funny, frank, astonishingly moving debut to read in one sitting, pass on to others, and remember long after the final page.

My Thoughts
I cried, and everything is beautiful. This book made me so much happier in with this world. I fell in love with August, he is an amazing human. Everything about this book was really amazing and I can see this book being taught to middle grade children. This book is even great for adults to read because even we need reminders on how not to judge someone based on their appearance.
I really enjoyed how you got to read from multiple different perspectives in this book. It was very interesting to see what other people thought of August and how their opinions change once they get to known him. However, August was still my favourite prospective to read from. He is just a regular kid even if he has a facial deformity.

I hated when people treated him poorly but all my faith was restored in humanity at the end. I definitely cried during this book. I cried from sadness and cried from happiness. You definitely felt the range of emotions and it was awesome.
Conclusions: Wonder is amazing and might be a new favourite of mine (I don't give out that honour lightly). It's incredibly heart warming and I think everyone should read this at least one time. It has an amazing message which is important for everyone to hear. All of the thumbs up.

No comments :

Post a Comment